These innovations and trends are among many being assessed and explored by 451 Research as part of a series of reports and presentations under the ‘datacenter of the future’ title. The first of these, which considered the potential for disruptive innovations, was published in 2013. Further reports will consider possible longer-term developments, up to 2029.
Here are the 10 big trends to watch out for:
1. Standardized, but lots of options.
2. Software-driven, autonomic and dark.
3. Hyperscale and cloud drive efficiency and innovation.
4. Business goals will drive operations in real time.
5. The costs of new builds will fall.
6. Energy efficiency up – and energy trading?
7. Cloud-level resiliency.
8. The cloud is the computer: supernodes to microdatacenters.
9. Open Compute, standardization and buyer control.
10. Wild cards will produce step changes.